Welcome, this is an introduction page to our Public Instant Messaging Service.
LW.Org IM is reachable with a xmpp client, pointing it at lightwitch.org or using our web based solutions.
To register an account on this instant messaging service you may either use In-Band Registration or Out-of-Band using the form on this site (see Manage Account > Register an account, on the side bar menu).
We have several tutorials on Jabber/XMPP and how to connect. (See: "LW.Org XMPP / Jabber Guide: Small notes on the standard and how to connect" in Book navigation)
- conference.lightwitch.org -- Multi-User Chat (XEP-0045), this component holds our rooms.
- proxy65.lightwitch.org -- SOCKS5 Bytestreams (XEP-0065), this component implements the SOCKS5 Bytestreams Proxy service.
- pubsub.lightwitch.org -- Publish Subscribe (XEP-60), this component holds feeds and our users' Microblogging (XEP-277) nodes.
- upload.lightwitch.org -- HTTP File Upload (XEP-363), this component implements HTTP PUT based file uploads, the upstream service allows a max uploaded file size of 1GiB without a quota and has a set expiration of 7 days.
- users.lightwitch.org -- Implements Jabber Search (aka XEP-0055), it's on purpose keept as light as possible it allows you to publish a limited set of information also so that it's not ground for abuses by SPAM harvesters, when you register to LW.Org IM you won't be shown on the User Directory service but should you decide to do so you can "Opt-in" or therefore the contrary "Opt-out" in case you signed up and want to remove your data (both using adhoc commands).
Information about services and message retention:
- Message Retention and Logging --
- Upto 100000 messages total for personal archives through MAM, once that is reached the oldest message will be deleted.
- You can use the MAM browser to search for unencrypted messages out of band.
- MUC with logging enabled are searchable via MAM, there's no limitation ineherent to retention.
- If the room is flagged as publicly discoverable logs are accessible via HTTP also.
- All logs are deleted when logging for the room is disabled.
- Servers details and location --
- The server physical infrastructure is privately owned and hosted in Milan, Italy.
- All services are on professional grade 2,5Gb optic fiber uplinks.
- Regarding Data Safety, and environmental operation --
- All our systems are internally backed up daily and snapshotted twice a day.
- We employ application aware backups to guarantee consistence of data.
- All our core infrastructure has segmented power supplies to protect from surges and to guarantee 2-4 hours uptime, in case of an outage.
- The server room is barred from unauthorized access.